Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Solo #9

Okay, let's try this again.

Solo might be the best title that either Marvel or DC is putting out. Every issue is turned over to one artist to do with what he pleases. This issue belongs to Scott Hampton, who's work I'm not really all that firmilar with. I guess he's know for this nice painterly comic work.

The first story is my favorite. It's about an actor in the forties who is hired to my appearances as Batman outside movie theaters. It's a really cute story and bad, wonky-eared costume he wears is hilarious. I also liked the pulpy story of a comic book artist who gets two losers to be his front. It's a really slow burn with a great 'Outer Limits' twist at the end.

The rest of the issue is a mixed bag. The anti-Bush sci-fi story is really ham fisted but I love anything that's anti-Bush.

As good as this is, it actually made me a little sad because it shows how good DC comics could be if they let the artist run the show instead of the editors and the marketing department. Still, I will continue buying this title for as long as they produce it. Even if I haven't heard of the featured artist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home