Sunday, October 23, 2005

RoadStripes

RoadStrips. Edited by Pete Friedrich (Chronicle Books).

The subtitle for this book is "A Graphic Journey Across America" and features a vw minivan driving down the road on the cover. Now, doesn't that make you think that this going to be a book about traveling? Well, that's what I thought. But I'll buy anything with John Porcellino or Megan Kelso in it. The book is actually a collection of autobiographical stories about what it means to be an American. A compelling theme for sure. And besides the Keith Knight story, a reprint and misplaced in the east coast section when it clearly takes place in San Francisco, the collection is really impressive. I'm surprised there isn't more buzz (any?) about it. After reading the whole thing, I had a great feeling about my fellow Americans. It seems that being disgusted with your countries actions and embarrassed by your countrymen's boorish behavior is what being a patriot is all about.

Also it's neat to see so much work from older cartoonists. I wasn't expecting stories about the JFK assassination or hippie protests. It was a nice mix with the younger artist and gave the book a sort or, "America through the Ages" feeling.

My favorites were Martin Cendreda's story about the tv movie, "The Day After" and his various plans for life after the nuclear holocaust. I also really liked Mary Fleener's story about the pledge of allegiance.

Stuff I checked out of the library today.

Couriers 03 by Brian Wood and Rob G.
Channel Zero: Jennie One by Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan.
Batman: War Games part one.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi There,
Thanks for the review- you experienced RoadStrips pretty much as I intended it, esp. the mixture of artists ages which was very intentional. And being one of the old schoolers, I shared your appreciation of Martin Cendreda's story - which I felt was so fresh and strong. Kelso's tale also really suprised me with its strength and subtlety.

One correction however- Keith's story is not a reprint. He drew that exclusively for RoadStrips. However there has been a bit of confusion - he was selected for the East Coast region because he grew up in Philly, but the San Francisco reference slipped in. He's lived there so long he's writing like a native!

Cheers!
Pete Friedrich

December 06, 2005 8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home