Sunday, October 16, 2005

The Quitter

The Quittter by Harvey Pekar and Dean Haspiel (Vertigo/DC Comics)
First off, Dean Haspiel's art is great in this book. I've had trouble getting into some of Harvey Pekar's work before because the art was so hard of the eyes. But Haspiel's stuff is clear, sharp and full of a type of swagger that fits the story perfectly. My one complaint that I really wish it was in color. Haspiel's art looks great in color and a hardcover book like this in black and white feels, dare I say, cheap.

The story is a pip. Lots of fighting. Harvey was a real tough cat back in the day. And seeing him transform from a lost soul who quits everything he starts to a respect jazz critic is really heartwarming. Everyone struggles to find their calling in life and after so many false starts, I was cheering when Harvey finally finds his voice and his place in the world.

I rarely think about movie adaptations when I'm reading a book but the whole time I was reading this I kept thing what a great movie it would make. Lots of brutal fight scenes tempered with a really touching coming of age story. From street fighter to bohemian intellectual. That a great arch.
www.deanhaspiel.com

Wizard #169
Everyone makes fun of Wizard because it's such a shameless hype machine and, well, kind of dumb. But I like it. I get every issue and read it cover to cover. There are too few comic magazines and most of the ones we have are super negative. After I finish reading the Comics Journal, I usually want to slit my wrists. Meanwhile, Wizard is constantly upbeat. They're reading comics, going to movies, ogling girls and having a great time. I don't read 90 percent of the stuff they write about but it's fun to go along for the ride. And sometime there are real gems inside. I really liked the Peter David interview and the story about spending a day with Harvey Pekar was a hoot.

What I Checked Out from the Library Today.
  • The Encyclopedia of the DC Universe (because I want to know who everyone is in Infinite Crisis.)
  • Sebastian O by Grant Morrison

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home