Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Ultimates Vol 1 by Mark Millar and Bryan Hitch


Ok, ok I can see what all the fuss is about. It reads like a great summer blockbuster. Big action scenes and all. It's a really fun read. Even for a guy who never reads Marvel stuff. Maybe it's better that I don't read Marvel stuff because I know so little about Captain American, Thor and Giant Man that it was all new to me and I never thought, "Oh, I like the original better." Cause I never read the original.

But the book does have two big problems for me. One, I hate pop culture references and this book has tons of them. The Freddie Prinze thing was funny but five pages of Nick Fury talking about how great an actor Johnny Depp is? LAME!

Second and more disturbing is the treatment of Bruce Banner. The whole time I was reading it I kept thinking of Banner as the smart awkward kid in school and Millar as the meathead jock giving him a wedgie. It almost ruined the book for me. I hope in future issues the Hulk rips all their heads off in revenge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home